Bible Study and Application Tool
How to Use the Tool
This tool is designed to give you framework and structure for reading the Word and listening to God speak to you in your life.
Depending on how much time you have, spend anywhere from a few minutes to an hour on each step of the tool. Begin by choosing a few of the options under each of the four sections. Pick the ones that call to you, or try something new and allow the Lord to lead you. See the “Additional Resources” section for specific thoughts on how to apply these various steps. And remember, through each step of the process, pray. Let this be a time for connection between you and your God. Pause: Make Space for God.
For each day in this workbook, we have expanded on questions from the tool. If a specific day’s direction doesn’t resonate with you, feel free to pick a different question from the list. Make it work for you.
We hope that by providing this study and application tool, you will have an opportunity to delve into God’s Word in a tangible and active way.
What does it say?
Pray for the openness and receptivity to hear the Lord in your heart and mind as you read the passage.
- Notice things about the literal story that jump out at you and write them down to remember later.
- Notice any questions or confusion that you have.
- Notice things that you might want to explore further.
What Does It Mean?
Pray to the Lord to give insight and guidance as you strive to understand the passage.
Pick one or two of the following reflections to explore in the text:
Where does this story take place?
- What is the story about?
- What are the relationships between the people in the story?
- What is the message of this story to the people at that time?
- How do you think this might have been received at the time it happened?
- Is there a particular verse that seems to be the main message of the story?
- If you are comparing translations or gospels, are there any differences in the storyline?
- Study the inner meaning of this passage. (See the study tools in the Appendix)
- Pick one word from the passage to do a word study and see where else it shows up in the Bible.
- What other Biblical passages come to mind on this theme?
- Choose a phrase and meditate on it and see what insights the Lord brings to you.
What Does It Mean to Me?
Pray and ask the Lord to show His message to you.
Pick one or two of the following reflections to explore in light of the text:
- What is the overarching message that I am hearing today from this passage?
- What are the words of comfort, guidance, challenge and wisdom that the Lord is offering here?
- What situation in my life is the Lord speaking to through His Word?
- What change in my life does this passage challenge me to make?
- Choose one phrase to commit to memory.
- Take one minute to retell the story in your own words.
What Does It Call Me to Do?
Pray to the Lord to show you what action the passage calls you to do, then pray for the strength, courage and commitment follow through.
Pick one or two of the following reflections to explore in light of this text:
- Meditate on the scripture and discover the call to action from the Lord.
- Notice the commands, encouragement and support for action.
- How does this passage advise you to treat others?
- How does this passage speak to your attitude in your day?
- How does this passage relate to others around you and the world as a whole?
- What action is the Lord calling you to do today?
- When you gain clarity on the action the Lord is calling you to do...do it!
- Take some time at the end of today or tomorrow and make note of how that action went.
As you begin to work with this tool you may find it helpful to look over these additional resources that can aid in the process.